Sunday, July 8, 2007

I miss the days when rappers cared about being rappers. There once was a time when the people who claimed to be the voice of the hood were actually in the hood. I'm not trying to knock the next man for doing well and moving on, as I believe that is or should be the goal of every young individual growing up in a struggle. My beef is this, when you get paid to do something you should work towards being your best at it. With that being said I've lost count of how many times I've heard rappers say "I'm not a rapper! I don't care if people think I'm nice". That's exactly why the industry as a whole is struggling. Once upon a time rap was looked upon in the hood as a way out, a ray of hope. It was like playin basketball, only a few people you knew, if any, were actually good enough to make it. So almost noone counted on success in the music industry and they educated themselves and did there best to put themselves in position to succeed. This appreciation for the opportunity was reflected in the music as artists used their opportunities to relay a message to society. While the messages varied they all shared a common theme, a need to be accepted for who we are and what we do. Somewhere along the way that gratitude has been forsaken for commercial success. These artists treat the music industry like a summer job come in make some quick money and leave. They could care less about the path they leave behind, or destroy for young up and comers and so the cycle worsens to the point where every young up and comer feels the pressure to succomb to a gimmick in order to succeed. The music lacks integrity, its more about regional appeal than lyrical ability, and definitly more about a catchy hook than any substanse of content. Besides all we wanna do is get high and dance right? The music has been dumbed down so bad that many dedicated fans have lost hope. As a lack of respect for both the roots of the music as well as its forefathers mutate the music into something almost unrecognizable. My most frequently used quote these days is "that's what they callin rap now?". I think the solution or at least a start is in supporting independent radio. Without any obligations to big sponsers and major labels, playlists often feature much more thought provoking music. With better funding and support from the industry as well as indie artists it can provide an even better outlet for those artist making music that doesn't fit into todays "poppy" categories. Not to say that I don't enjoy a good party cuz I do but, theres a time and a place for everything and rap music doesn't understand that anymore. Rappers need to stop partying and start talking to the people again. Once they get back in touch wit the real hood not the fictious one they had built based on memories and movies then they can start talking FOR the people again. Once people can identify with your message they will support it and sales will increase. It would help if they actually HAD a message! If your whole album is for the club then which tracks do I bump when I'm driving? How about when I'm depressed? or angry?...exactly! not your album. So why would I buy it? I party a lot less than I sit down and chill and I think the average listener can say the same, so... ill listen to ya joint when I'm in the club I don't need to buy it. --dizzy

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Honestly, that is why music doesn't really excite me anymore. Hip Hop is Dead was the last album that I bought and that was almost 7 months ago. I barely listen to the radio anymore. It sounds like a CD is on repeat anyway. For someone like me, content matters. Creativity matters. Originality matters. Material that I can not necessarily relate to, but understand matters. I agreed with you 100% dizzy when you said that you have to be true to yourself and tell your story. I can't relate only because we led 2 different lifestyles but I do understand in a way. When you were walking through the streets of BK in your video, I understood. That is who you are. Not everyone can relate to or understand the escalade sittin on 24's or the ice around your neck or the four bottle of Grey goose or the supermodel girlfriend because that isn't or is not going to be their lifestyle. I would love to make it rain on a stripper just one time but I gotta pay the rent. So I'm with you Dizzy. I'll hear your party record in the club or on the radio because lord knows that It'll get played 10 times in 4 hours anyway. Give me some content that I may not necessarily relate to, but that I'll understand. Give me one video that shows me where you came from. Believe me I know that some of us didn't come from much and we dream of the better life and it is possible if you put the work in. I am not knocking you for showing off the good life but some of us are not going to understand if all that you do is throw it in our faces.I cannot buy what I do not understand.

DarkWing